Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bloggers have it right?

This class is my first encounter with blogging and my first time contributing in any meaningful way to the public sphere. Perhaps it is for this reason that I continue to be surprised by the dedication of some bloggers to their ‘work’ and the social influence they can have. It makes perfect sense that I have been naive to the importance of the blogosphere as the majority of the information I am surrounded with comes from mainstream news outlets. As was demonstrated in this weeks presentation through the use of a political youtube clip about why a candidate dropped out of the running, blogs are often immediately discredited in the ‘Liberal Media.’

I had not previously considered the relationship some bloggers have to the public discourse they contribute. The case of the Hilary Clinton supporters from the blog ‘The Daily KOS,’ blogging to some people has increasingly been viewed as an important Since we live in a capitalist, economy based society one would expect obtaining capital would be at the heart of all labour intensive avocations. The fact that one could strike from a self imposed past time is an interesting concept. Usually when we hear of a strike it is a union or a group of people who want more money, as has been far too many times in my educational career. With the absence of money prompting this strike it made me wonder what is driving this level of dedication. Without monetary distractions bloggers focus often shifts towards more meaningful purposes. Maybe they’re on to something?

No comments:

Post a Comment