Friday, March 26, 2010

An offer to participate in something exciting!

...well maybe exciting isn't the right word, but hopefully the title caught your attention.

For my final project I am taking a more in depth look at how the citizen media interacts with the mass media when it comes to news reporting. I will be looking at it from a scholarly standpoint, applying the readings and lectures from class as well as conducting a qualitative analysis based on public opinion. According to James Suroiecki the inclusion of citizen media into the mass media’s news reporting really began after the Tsunami. He says in THIS video clip that this is the time when the “public sphere came of age.” I intend to find out how much this change effected the traditional news reporting practices by the mass media conglomerates.

I am still collecting empirical evidence right now, and given the nature of the topic, it seems fitting that I am using a form of citizen media to inform you all of my project. I would really appreciate if as many of you as possible would take this quick survey to help me understand how we as a society view this change. The survey is only two little questions long and completely anonymous. Feel free to let me know what you think in comments on my blog as well.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

4 comments:

  1. I did your survey the moment I saw you posted in on facebook - just wanted to say that your questions were extremely insightful and hopefully your project goes well! Also, thanks for your comments on my video for the final project - I appreciate the time you took to write it, and I definitely plan on using it in my final analysis of remix culture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very interesting topic. I'd love to see an in depth look of the way that citizen media shapes mainstream media. Notions of re-appropriate and a "give and take" relationship no doubt exists between the two. The readily available access now to networks like blogs and participatory media must have had a major impact on the way the main stream media navigates society, we live in exciting times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The impact of citizen media on the mass media does seem to be increasing at a rapid pace. Based on the survey, it seems like as a populace we are a bit cynical about the news, many participants answered that they don't trust the news nor do they trust citizen media. Perhaps an amalgamation of the two will make for more accurate news reporting and therefor gain the confidence of the masses once again.

    ReplyDelete